Our future electric rates are partially based on
how much power you use on hot, humid weekdays
between 1 and 6 p.m. this summer. When you hear an announcement from your local electric cooperative about doing the “Electric Shift,” try these simple steps:
- Set air conditioners at 78 degrees or use fans instead.
- Close curtains and blinds to keep things cooler.
- Operate washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves and other major appliances in early morning or evening.
- Minimize the number of times you open your refrigerator and freezer.
- Cook with an outdoor grill or a microwave oven.
- Turn off any non-essential lights.
- Run pool pumps at night.